The Center for Arts Education (CAE) is dedicated to ensuring that all New York City public school students have quality arts learning as an essential part of their Pre K-12 education. Along with teaching and learning programs, CAE provides information and resources that demonstrate the benefits of and need for arts education as part of a quality, balanced education.
Job Title: Advocacy and Engagement Associate
Status: Half-Time, Exempt, Salaried position
Salary: $20,000 per year
Schedule: 20 hours over three days per week; some weekend and evening work required.
Benefits: Pro-rated paid time off (50% of holiday, personal, sick days).
Reporting: Supervisor – Director of Advocacy and Engagement
Start Date: Immediately
This exciting new position requires a minimum three years of relevant experience with increasing responsibility; excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong time management and organizational skills; interest in and knowledge of Pre-K-12 arts education, government affairs, coalition and community building, and community organizing. Applicant should also possess effective phone, email, and interpersonal demeanor, strong computer skills in MS Office, CRM platforms, online research, and experience with social media. Bilingual Spanish, Chinese, Bengali, or Arabic in speaking, reading, and writing is preferred. Bachelor’s degree required (Master's preferred).
- Conduct general, issue and event-specific outreach established and emerging community-based, grass roots, and education organizations, as well as with parents, public officials and government agencies, utilizing a variety of strategies in order to establish, develop, and maintain working relationships.
- Develop and facilitate community workshops, meetings, and other programs, often in conjunction with organizational partners.
- Represent CAE in meetings with other stakeholders from the community, non-profits, schools, and local government.
- Conduct research related to issues and campaigns and distill for a wide variety of audiences.
- Assist in public awareness strategies and activities including traditional and social media efforts, e-advocacy efforts, press events, and distribution of publicity materials.
- Maintain an accounting of contact information, resources, event details and statistics, budget figures, and more.
- Be a team player in supporting the many aspects of CAE’s comprehensive programs and efforts.
- Work with other CAE departments, identifying program, advocacy, and outreach needs.
- Work flexible hours including weeknights, weekends and occasional early mornings.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org your 1) cover letter summarizing why this job interests you and, 2) current resume with salary history or requirements and, 3) url links to relevant projects. Please include Advocacy & Engagement Associate in the email subject line. Please no telephone calls. CAE will only contact candidates we plan to interview.